Biking

"In the field" railroad history adventures...

Sunday, August 1, 2021

Rockville Spur

This morning I rode the Rockville Spur Rail Trail. It's an easy ride...

A bit of history

This spur opened in 1863 - Rockville was a booming textile center and needed a railroad connection. The last freight train from Vernon was in 1970 and in 1975 the rails were torn up for scrap.

The Ride

The kiosk at Vernon Junction was very informative!
Riding under I-84
This building looks like it might have been an old freight depot...
A mysterious foundation here
This 1915 Valuation map proved my hunch that there was a siding here
The embankment into Rockville
Remnants of a stone lined waterway on the left
At the end of the line at Vernon Street

The Town

I continued up the streets on my bike and discovered there are quite a few beautiful old buildings!
An old mill converted into apartments
The stream that powered the mills...
Don't be confused by the sign title - this is Rockville!

A super short one-handed video 


I next ventured over to Hockanum River Trail and later rode the Charter Oak Greenway...

No comments:

Post a Comment