Biking

"In the field" railroad history adventures...

Thursday, August 3, 2023

Airline Trail - north from Willimantic

 It was a beautiful day: sunny and not too hot, so I ventured over to Willimantic to continue riding the Airline Trail. I had ridden other sections previously so this was still on my bucket list. 

I had planned on stopping somewhere along the ride to have lunch but it turned there was literally nothing at all anywhere - just wilderness and the occasional rural road to cross. Truth be told it was pretty boring after a while - I wasn't that tired but I turned around finally to find food - even rode off the trail to North Windham but there was nothing nearby! (I ended up chowing down way back in Willimantiic)

It was a barely perceptible climb going north but a blast when I headed back south so I bombed it as much as possible :-)

Highlights from the Ride

Start at Willimantic
Marshland 
Kiosk along the way

Singletrack for a change!
Going under Rt 6
Rough riding - glad I was on the mountain bike!
This next section was rocky...!

I stopped here at a bench and decided to head back

Embankments

I always marvel at how much work was need to build railroads - the embankments were frequent and some were quite high!

Video Summation

The tread changed from pavement to gravel to dirt and then to stone.


No comments:

Post a Comment