Biking

"In the field" railroad history adventures...

Saturday, October 8, 2022

North Chatham (the long way home!)

After a lovely couple of days upstate (bike riding and partying at a high school reunion) I headed home via North Chatham.

My first destination was the lovingly-preserved North Chatham Trolley Station. I was debating whether to ride again but it was still freaking cold and windy so I just sniffed around the station and opted instead to drive the "back way" home.

North Chatham Trolley Station

This was on the Albany Hudson line - now a rail trail.

It was closed but the views through the windows were great!
Now a private residence 

At Chatham, I was blessed with a CSX freight train - I think there were four locomotives (I forgot to count)!


The Long Way Home

As mentioned, I didn't jump on my bike at North Chatham but decided to enjoy the autumn colors on a longer but charming way home...

NY - Spencertown, Austerlitz
MA - Egremont, Sheffield
CT - North Canaan, Winsted, New Hartford, Farmington, etc.

...it was gorgeous!

At Collinsville, I snapped a photo of the old railroad station as I drove by.   I will revisit his area to ride the Farmington bike path and sniff around to document it's rich railroad history. 


No comments:

Post a Comment